Call members of Senate Appropriations and Oppose SB-24–Phone numbers below
SB-24 (Leyva) Public health: public university student health centers: abortion by medication techniques.(2019-2020)
Mandates on and after January 1, 2023, each public university student health center to offer abortion by medication techniques as up to 10 or 12 weeks as a “basic health service.”
Arguments in Opposition:
- No other states currently provide medical abortions at their state college and university student health centers.
- Californians for Life write this bill is a pro-abortion effort which does nothing to help pregnant students on campus find the comprehensive resources they need in order to have real choices, real options, other than abortion.
- CSU and the UC systems have not weighed in on the issue besides stating that the Student Health Centers are concerned with the need for follow-up care and back-up care for emergencies once the medication is administered.
- Donna Harrison, the executive director of the American Association of Pro-life Obstetricians and Gynecologists, says abortion pills can be deadly.
- “The false idea that drug-induced abortion is ‘safe’ is an often repeated mantra which flies in the face of the fact that studies show almost one out of five women will experience a major complication like excessive bleeding, infection, tissue left inside or other complications resulting in an emergency room visit and possibly emergency surgery to complete the abortion,”
- Staff may not be able to maintain the skill necessary to use an ultrasound machine to accurately determine whether the medication can be administered safely.
History: Passed out of Senate Health and Senate Appropriations
Next Step: Set for hearing May 13 – Senate Appropriations
Will head to Senate Floor for a vote and then to Assembly policy committees
|SENATE COMMITTEE ON APPROPRIATIONS – http://sapro.senate.ca.gov/|
|Anthony J. Portantino||Chair||D-25||(916) 651-4025||Glendale: (818) 409-0400, San Dimas: (909) email@example.com|
|Patricia C. Bates||Vice Chair||R-36||(916) 651-4036||Laguna Hills: (949) 598-5850, Encinitas: (760) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Brian W. Jones||(916) 651-4038||El Cajon: (619) email@example.com|
|Steven Bradford||D-35||(916) 651-4035||(310) firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Jerry Hill||D-13||(916) 651-4013||(650) email@example.com|
|Bob Wieckowski||D-10||a||(916) 651-4010||(510) firstname.lastname@example.org|